Most comfort food dinners are packed with unhealthy fats, unnecessary calories and obscene levels of simple carbs…and flavour, lots of flavour. With this comforting Creole Chicken and Green Bean Dinner I’ve left the abundance of flavour, while removing the unhealthy fats, unnecessary calories and those pesky simple carbs. Win-win!
Enjoy this hearty, protein-rich comfort food dinner with a salad of dark leafy greens for the perfect fitness meal.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 700g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 120ml white wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 80ml water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chilli sauce
- 250g fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the chicken to the pan and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add the bacon and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, water, bell pepper mixture, oregano, cumin, thyme and chilli sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add the green beans, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 247 calories, 8g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 4g sugar, 327mg sodium, 4g fibre, and 29g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!